2009年1月21日水曜日

Lizzie Napoli illustrates Provence

Please click on any image for a larger view.


L'Isle sur la Sorgue, a city most famous for it's twice yearly antiques fairs.

While researching my last post on portraits of houses, I was reminded of a favorite illustrator, Lizzie Napoli. Her book, En Provence, is filled with charming scenes of village life and pastoral vistas throughout the south of France. I love her sketchy style with pen and ink, and restrained swashes of watercolor. She employs a wonderfully light hand, with marks and strokes that provide just enough information to delineate buildings, leafy plants and flowers, and wildlife. Her books (she has published several) are somewhat hard to get or expensive here in the US, so I thought I would share a few images.


Lizzie devant sa roulotte, en Provence.


Street scenes of St. Remy. I believe this view is not far from where we stayed at the charming b&b, La Maison du Village.
One of my favorite illustrations in the book, plants and flowers in the countryside.

Perhaps Lizzie's roulotte is similar to these ...

Some are elegant with more traditional french interior decor ...





0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿